Monday, November 10, 2008

In case anyone is still reading this...

Things I now realize are not critical to survival:

  • My hair dryer
  • Pizza
  • Constant entertainment
  • Perfectly composed wardrobes
  • High heeled shoes
  • Text messaging
  • Wal-mart

Things I now have a much greater appreciation for:

  • Consistent internet
  • Drinking water
  • Comfortable beds that don't require mosquito nets
  • Spring and Fall
  • Microwave popcorn
  • Silence
  • Daily contact with people for whom English is their first spoken language
  • The calmness of knowing I'm in the American society with a civilized government and that I'm not likely to get kidnapped on the back of a motorcycle
  • Traffic lights
  • Traffic laws
  • Stop signs
  • Dramamine
  • Reptiles and amphibians that eat mosquitos
  • Light-colored dirt
  • Nice bathrooms with western world-style toilets
  • White socks

Things I will never ever forget:
  • Jonah's smile
  • "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy MZUNGU!"
  • "Mzungu Baby, you have such a nice camera, why don't you give it to me?"
  • The smell of being coated in DEET
  • Greasy Skin(for the first time in my life)
  • African Rain
  • "Auntie! Auntie! Auntie Taylor!!!"
  • Mebra pinching me
  • Isaac always crying
  • Singing the Wiggle Waggle
  • Hearing Arabic, German, Dutch, French and English all on the same flight
  • Thinking of the ultimate peril of a boda boda accident
  • Story Time
  • Seeing Steven's face light up when he wrote his name
  • Being in a society and a culture and a place where survival is literal, not a far off imaginative or simply a dramatic adjective.

In case you, like my sister, didn't realize or didn't know, I'm home. Or at least physically.

1 comment:

...on the brink of something beautiful said...

this is so sweet! sounds like you had an awesome experience! thats awesome.
-kellie